In a previous post I discussed about the different knots available for instrument ties; today I will like to demonstrate the basic instrument knot and the steps involved in it.
- You have your opened wound
- Take the plier and lift one side of the wound
- Take your suture pin holder and pass the suture under the wound
- Take the plier and lift the other side of the wound
- Pass the suture from the other side
- Apply a double knot on the instrument and pull down
- Cross the suture and tie it up
- Apply a single instrument knot and pull tight
- Cross the suture again
- Apply another single instrument knot and pull tight
- Remove excess string with scissor
There you have it!
Remember don’t remove too much excess string as it can jeopardise your removal of the suture after patient recovery!